Friday, May 25, 2007

Sabarah

It has been a long time since I have been blogging, but I have been really busy. I'll try to post a bit more often inshaAllah

I thought I'd give my favourite fruit in Syria a tribute:)

I love Sabarah, it's really good, healthy and delicious of course!

Here you can see a cactus fruit stand. They are everywhere in the city. I also like eating corncob's but I am afraid of getting sick from the water...:(
Here is a stand in Souq al Kaslaneen in Sha3lan. The picture is taken by my sister. In the night time these stands will be glowing by chains of light bulbs. Some big stands have seats, so that you can sit down and enjoy your sabarah.



If you don't know what the fruit looks like, you can see it here:

taken from: http://www.harald-zappe.de/me/exotic/exotic.html

The fruit has has approximately 85% water, 10-15% carbohydrates, with a big amount of Vitamin C, 6-8% glucose and fructose levels, very high in fiber, minerals and low in calories. SubhanAllah!


ENJOY!

1 Comments:

At 25 May, 2007 23:14, Blogger George Ajjan said...

you need a picture of one of the vendors, with that glove to protect him from the thorns!

And you didn't mention a certain digestive impact of this fruit...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home